Sleepless in Niland

Trip 2 – Day 47

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Once again, out of nowhere, we had wind.  And, I don’t mean just a little breeze.  It started last night about 9:00.  Dad was getting ready for bed, Craig was napping……I mean watching TV, Wiley was asleep, and I was on the computer attempting to download photos, when the Hag lurched, and we heard something that sounded like wind.  Craig and I looked at each other in bewilderment and tried to figure out what was happening.  We had a small earthquake about a week ago, so our thoughts first went to that scenario.

I went outside and immediately realized that it was, in fact, wind.  I moved the 3 lawn chairs closer to the Hag, came inside and proceeded to check the weather to see if we had missed something.  There were no warnings for Niland or Bombay Beach, but Indio had a high wind warning for the next 15 hours.  We battened down the hatches, so to speak, (closed the roof vents) and went to bed.  Notice that I made no mention of going to sleep.  The wind raged on throughout the night.  I would estimate the wind speed to have been somewhere between 40 and 50mph or possibly higher.  The poor old Hag.  She moaned, and groaned, and produced sounds that made us worry.

There was SO MUCH movement in such a non-comforting way, which produced MUCH discussion about bringing the slides in.  The fear was that the slide-outs might not take that much abuse, and decide to part ways with the Hag.  Around 2:00, Craig got his trusty flashlight and went outside to see what was happening.  He reported back that the wind was indeed blowing.  (I sanitized his actual statement regarding wind speed – I guess this is a “family” blog)  We left things alone, and proceeded to toss and turn for the rest of the night.  By 5:00am, the wind had died down to a respectable 10-20mph.  Maybe we got a couple of hours of sleep, I don’t know.  I can only say that folks throughout the campground were tired this morning.

The Hag, in our site.  She made it through the night in one piece, and we are pretty happy about that

The Hag, resting peacefully in our site. She made it through the night in one piece, and we are pretty happy about that.

This is our last day here at FOY, which can only mean, we spend the day doing laundry and cleaning.  EVERYONE in the park seemed to have the same idea.  I spent much time waiting for washers to be freed up, and then probably an hour with wet clothes waiting for an empty dryer.  This would not be so bad, except that the Internet connection in this park is, at it’s best, CRAP.  Now, maybe I am a little tired, and not quite as patient as I should be, but after being told by office staff: “people are using Skype and watching movies on their computers, and that slows things down, but we can’t tell them not to do those things,” I am frustrated.  I snapped back at said folks, mentioning that this is the way of the future, and is what people do with their computers.  It’s time for me to go home.

We ate, we walked, and started the process of getting this show ready to hit the road.  And, after watching the Oscar’s, we went to bed, ever hopeful of getting a good night’s sleep.

As I have pretty much exhausted the "cool" golf carts at FOY, here is the "ride of the day"

As I have pretty much exhausted the “cool” golf carts at FOY, here is the “ride of the day”

Dad, admiring the cactus of the day

Dad, admiring the cactus of the day

Today’s weather:  sunny and WINDY……but not as warm

Daytime temperature:  In the mid-60’s

Nighttime temperature:   In the very low 40’s

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s